Saturday, July 14, 2012

Welcome from Kitzi

"Oh, to live will be an awfully big adventure"--Peter Pan

Along with Ken, I would like to welcome you all from the beautiful continent of South America to A Jesuit Guide to Adventure! About a month ago, Ken brought his idea to me and asked for my opinion on the creation of this blog.  Without hesitation, I knew that it was a wonderful idea and agreed to contribute writings, reflections, and suggestions for living adventurously.

However, as I began thinking about it more and more, I couldn't help but think that maybe I was the wrong person for the job.  As strange as it sounds, I feel like my faith and spirituality during the last 6 months that I've been in Bolivia have really begun to waver more than they have before.  I'm a part of a Catholic, nonprofit organization and am living in a country where the majority of the people identify as Catholic, yet still find myself questioning a lot when it comes to my faith.  Maybe it is the fact that the people here have become hardened to the poverty that they see everyday and accept it as the way the world works...or maybe it is the fact that I, too, see myself becoming hardened each day to the poverty that I see.  Whatever it is, it had me questioning whether or not I was the right person to co-author this blog. 

Yet, it is also for this very reason that I feel so pulled to contribute.  The more I talk about both my love and my struggles with faith and religion, the more I meet others who relate to the way that I feel.  We are confused, passionate, open, and unfulfilled with where we are at in our search for faith and discernment of spirituality...and it is in this way that I believe my contributions to A Jesuit Guide to Adventure will help to create an important balance and comprehensive insight to spirituality.  It is the hope of Ken and I that with a variety of voices and perspectives, we can reach out to not just one specific population, but an all-inclusive, continuously growing reader group. 

You can expect me to write a variety of reflections based upon my experiences in Bolivia, creative and inexpensive ways to engage in adventure, recommendations, and faith-related questions and concerns. 

Enjoy!

Kitzi

      

No comments:

Post a Comment